Merry Christmas, MStars readers! We hope your day is filled with family, friends, joy, presents and all that other warm and fuzzy stuff. But let's call like it is. By about 5 p.m., you're ready to get out of the house. But have no fear! We're here to help with a list of the Five Best Movies Released on Christmas Day.
Like Us on Facebook
For the non-Christmas people out there, this is still a great day because there's usually at least one or two good movies in the theaters to suck up a few hours of your time. But what are the best of the best to ever hit the big screen on Dec. 25? Check out our list below:
5) Ali (2001): We know this isn't the greatest movie ever made by any stretch of the imagination, but we're giving it a spot on this list simply because of Will Smith's performance, which earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. Smith truly inhabited the skin of the man called Cassius Clay and delivered a Christmas gift for the audience.
4) Catch Me If You Can (2002): Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio in one movie? We're sold. It was a joy to watch DiCaprio's Frank Abagnale continually outwit Hanks' FBI agent Carl Hanratty, but it was even more amazing to watch two of the finest actors in the business play off each other.
3) Django Unchained (2012): All we really need to say is "Christoph Waltz" and end it at that, but we'll go a little deeper. DiCaprio is back again on our list and is magnificent as the villainous plantation owner Monsieur Calvin Candie. Director Quentin Tarantino delivered a movie that, while a little lengthy, exemplified what makes him such a legendary filmmaker.
2) To Kill a Mockingbird (1962): The film adaptation of Harper Lee's classic novel starred Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. It was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won three, the biggest of which was Peck's win for Best Actor. The man earned it from the big courtroom scene alone.
1) The Sting (1973): This has to be No. 1. This movie starred Paul Newman and Robert Redford and scored SEVEN Academy Awards, including Best Picture. The plot revolves around a small-time thief and a veteran con man who team up to get revenge on the mob boss responsible for the murder of their friend. It's a thriller that has everything one could want from such a film.